Friday, May 21, 2010

Chicago Adventures: HOWL AT THE MOON


As you guys know, I have a bit of a habit of jumping around in my past to dig out potential things to write about. Last September, I went to the Council for Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP) Convention in Chicago, IL. I had never been to Chicago before, and true to the rumors, they had AWESOME pizza and hot dogs. In fact, though it's been months, I'm sitting at the Chicago airport right now, writing this blog and eating a hot dog.


I have to put a write-up on this blog for Howl at the Moon. HatM is definitely my favorite way to spend an evening - we have one in Baltimore, but I can't ever get my friends to drive up that far with me. Anyway - what is it? Howl at the Moon is a dueling piano bar, and it's a chain. They have 14 locations around the US, so chances are good that there's one close.

Basic protocol at a dueling piano bar is as follows:

Step 1: Write down your requests (and please folks, take it easy on the Elton John and Billy Joel) on a piece of paper
Step 2: Take a dollar bill, and place it on top of the paper (or maybe a 5, it it's late and you were forced to pay cover to get in)
Step 3: Wad the paper and dollar up into a tidy ball
Step 4: Chuck the request paper/dollar packet onto the stage.


At this point, your request will be picked up and eventually played. If you're at the Howl at the Moon, be sure to request the song "Joy to the World" (the 3 Dog Night version, not the Christmas Song). Trust me, you'll be glad that you requested this particular song (and dance).

The different HatM's I have been to have had different vibes, but overall there is still a sense of great fun and camraderie. So go - you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment